Once again I have had the pleasure of talking to another truly talented author. Mike is an amazing author, friend, husband and daddy! He has a great sense of humor and his smile will make your day! It is my delight to introduce you to him if you haven’t met him already and for those that have maybe you will learn something about him you didn’t know.
1. How old were you when you first wrote your first story?
I had writing assignments that were just going through the motion in High school if I would have listened to my inner voice a few times I probably would have started writing really early. I tried writing a horror book when I was nineteen or twenty didn’t pan out, did another bit when I first met my wife then finally when I was probably twenty nine or thirty wrote Buried, it took me a long time because I was clueless. By the time I was done with it I knew that the next book was going to be zombies. It ended up being Orphans Origins which is still one of my favorite books by far. I let myself develop the characters until you felt like you’d known them for years and your heart hurt with the turn of every page. That is good stuff. The Orphans took me two months to write after I figured out that I am a story liner not a pantser but am very, very unfaithful to my storyline.
2. How many books have you written?
Let’s do the list because it is the only way I can remember (sigh signs of getting old me thinks)
1. Orphans Origins Vol 1
2. Orphans Surviving the Turned Vol 2
3. Orphans Strangers Vol 3
4. Orphans White Lie Vol 4
5. Orphans Civil War Vol 5 ( only have a few weeks on this hoping for a june release date if not May)
6. Deal with the Devil book 1
7. Buried: Broken Oaths – my only first person book
8. Gabriel: Only one gets out alive book 1
9. Pitch Black: Gabriel Book 2
10. Body Count: Gabriel Book 3
11. Zombies and Chainsaws 1
12. Zombies and Chainsaws 2 (this is at the editor hoping to get back this month)
13. The Uninvited – not for your kids lol
14. The Gift which is under Michael Patrick – didn’t want any parents not paying attention to give little ones free reign on my books, I can’t afford their therapy bills***this is for your kids
15. Surivial of the Few – short story I wrote for Jeff Clare of All things Zombies for his birthday one year (this will actually be a anthology on the basis of the common man out this july hopefully with a crazy good line up)
16. Orphans Brigade – short story
17. Bite Sized Offerings – anthology
18. Painted Mayhem – anthology
19. Middletown Apocalypse – anthology
20. When Disaster Strikes – anthology
21. Twisted Tea Party – coming soon anthology
3. Anything you won’t write about?
Women being sexually abused, and children. There’s no place for it in the world fiction or real life.
4. Tell me about you. Age (if you don’t mind answering), married, kids, do you have another job etc…
Mike Evans raised in a small town, I have two kids one of each quit while we had perfection. I do have a wife eleven years. I enjoy shooting, archery, hunting, and when I’ve listened to the right blend of music I will happily play guitar(classical Bach is my favorite, but I have the electric rig as well and will throw down about anything on that.) I do work full time I’m trying to get it to the point where it costs me money to come to work. Oh and somehow I am 36 unsure how that happened.
5. What’s your favorite book you have written?
The Uninvited is probably my favorite.
6. Who or what inspired you to write?
I don’t really have one author, I use to be a ferocious reader. That sadly is no longer since my free time is spent spinning my own tales. I would say that Stephen King, Greg Rucka, John Grisham, Lee Child, and a few others were pretty big influences
7. What do you like to do for fun?
Enjoy spending time with my kids and wife, and my two dogs. We spend a lot of time with our neighbors just enjoying the outdoors. Me and my friend Nick (shows up a lot in my book anytime I need a pilot or a victim) usually have some scheme that we are up to and our wives take it all with a grain of salt.
8. And traditions you do when you finish a book?
I try to make sure that my mom always gets the first paperback. I also always order a proof book for my kids and wife so they will have something of mine that no one else does when I am gone.
9. Where do you write? Quite or music?
Couch, yes music, it depends on what type. I listen to a wide array of music Metallica, Seether big one, Twenty One Pilots, Nirvana, Sabbath, and many many more. I try to get up around 345 everyday and write for a hour to hour and a half in the morning, and then another half hour at lunch and I’ll take my computer with to my kids tae kwon do and swim lessons and try to knock out words then as well. Pretty much anytime I sit down I try to do a thousand words but my goal is 1666 a day.
10. Anything you would change about your writing?
Not really, I have a process that works for me, and I try not to screw with it honestly. I have more ideas than I will ever have time to pen. I guess I would like my grammar to be better but that is why the editors make the big bucks.
11. What is your dream? Famous writer?
Full time author with a big plot of land next to a lake would be perfect for me and not having to worry about money same for my kids.
12. Where do you live?
Harley Quinn, yes like the Joker, yes we are that big of nerds. She is a boxer Labrador mix
And Rusty who looks like Rust. He is a beagle mutt and is the only dog whom I’ve ever met that smiles regularly. He is a total nerd. We love the dogs, mess with them, mess with us!
14. What’s your favorite thing about writing?
Typically seeing how the book evolves, it is a monster and you can only try and control it. The more it pushes back the more you should let is roam free. The best things come from open range books.
You can find me on Amazon at my author page
My twitter which I’m not super active on, but active enough I won’t bore you
My newsletter I encourage you to sign up for. I usually only send updates when I have a new book released or ready for pre order
My Mike Evans Fan Club run by friends and fans of my books
Be my friend lol on Facebook
Mike thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk with you about your life and work. We look forward to many more books and adventures with you. I’m proud to call you my friend! I wish you much success not that you need it!